District FAQs

Below we have provided many of the common frequently asked questions that we receive regarding MUD 365 services. If you need information that is not included on this site, please contact us.

What are the boundaries of MUD 365?

The easiest way to determine your district is to view our Which MUD District Serves You? map.

Can I attend MUD Board Meetings?

Yes. All of the District’s meetings are open in accordance with the Texas Open Meetings Act. Our regular Business Meetings are held on the third Thursday of each month at 12:00 p.m. at the offices of Allen Boone Humphries Robsinson. In addition, we have a Community Meeting in the neighborhood at 7:00 p.m. on the Tuesday of each month preceding the District’s regular business meeting. We would love to see you at either meeting!

Why does Coles Crossing have two MUDs?

It is very common that subdivisions like Coles Crossing have more than one MUD within its boundaries. The decision was ultimately made by the developer when the neighborhood was created.

What is the “RWA FEE” line item on my bill?

“RWA” is one of the acronyms used to refer to the North Harris County Regional Water Authority. The North Harris County Regional Water Authority is also often abbreviated with the acronym “NHCRWA” (the acronym you will find in the Water Authority’s own materials). When you see these different acronyms, they are both used to refer to the same water authority. The “RWA FEE” you see on your bill is a pass-through fee charged by the NHCRWA to a MUD based on the amount of groundwater pumped and/or the amount of surface water received from the NHCRWA. The fee charged to the MUDs within the boundaries of the NHCRWA is not optional. NHCRWA typically reviews its rate structure and pricing annually and publishes new rates, which can be found in various publications on the NHCRWA website, including in this Updated Pricing Policy linked here.

What is the North Harris County Regional Water Authority (NHCRWA)?

The North Harris County Regional Water Authority, sometimes referred to simply as the NHCRWA or the RWA, is the entity responsible for securing a long-term, reliable supply of wholesale drinking water in our area, designated as North Harris County. As part of this ongoing process, the NHCRWA is in the process of building additional infrastructure to bring surface water, mostly from Lake Houston, to many Municipal Utility Districts, or MUDs, in our area with the goal of converting from the use of ground water (wells) to surface water (lakes, reservoirs) in certain designated areas. More details on the North Harris County Regional Water Authority and its capital improvement projects and plans for conversion can be found on the NHCRWA website at www.nhcrwa.org.

How can I learn more about what the MUD is doing?

The best way to become informed is to attend one of our meetings. All meetings are open to the public, and we welcome resident attendance and participation.

What is MUD 365 doing to improve the quality of life in our community?

MUD 365 is involved in a number of projects designed to enhance the quality of life in Coles Crossing and The Park at Arbordale. Visit our Current Projects page for information on some of our recent projects.

Who do I contact if I see a problem with something I believe is related to the MUD?

Please refer to the “Report A Problem” link on our home page for current contact information.

How is the recycling pilot faring?

We have been overwhelmed by the number of MUD 365 residents participating in the recycling pilot. We are monitoring it on a weekly and monthly basis. Participation has approached 70% and the volume of recyclables is high.

Why must I submit a request to the MUD before building a pool or installing a sprinkler system? What is the process for making such a request?

There are several ways the Public Water System can be contaminated from cross-connections within that system. There are various inspections required when installing equipment that uses potable water for its operation or when something has a direct connection to a potable water system such as an irrigation system, spa or swimming pool.

Due to the circumstances listed above, potable water lines must be protected from possible contamination from irrigation systems and pool fill lines. Backflow may occur in the event of either Backsiphonage or Backpressure. Backsiphonage can happen when the pressure in the distribution system drops, drawing water from the consumer’s plumbing back into the system. Pressure drops might occur in the event of a main line break, or high water demand such as fighting a fire nearby. Backpressure can cause Backflow when a potable water system is connected to another system that operates at a higher pressure…such as an irrigation system or a pool fill line.

The installation of irrigation systems and swimming pools are required by the State of Texas to be inspected upon installation and sometimes annually depending on the application to ensure that the proper backflow prevention assembly is being used to protect the Public Water Supply. Residential applications are not excluded from this because the property is directly connected to the Public Water System and Backpressure and Backsiphonage may occur.

The Inspection Criteria is as follows:

1. Resident should submit set of design drawings or plans along with a check in the amount of $175 made payable to Harris County Municipal District No. 365, depending on which District you live in, for the plan review. These documents are sent to the Municipal Utility District Engineer for approval prior to commencement of construction.

Sander Engineering Corporation
1250 West Sam Houston Parkway South, Suite 400
Houston, Texas 77042
Office: (713) 784-4830
Fax: (713) 784-4052

2. The Engineer will review the plans and upon approval will forward to the inspections department of the district operator, Si Environmental, LLC.

3. Customer and/or Contractor performing installation of the swimming pool or irrigation system shall notify Si Environmental at 832-490-1610 to schedule times for the inspection of their pool installation or irrigation system. Fees for the inspections will be debited to the customer’s water bill per the district’s current Rate Order.

4. Failure to notify Si Environmental for the inspection will result in a scheduled inspection 30 days from the date on the engineer’s approval letter. Each trip to the residence for an inspection will result in a debit to the customer’s water bill for the fees associated with the inspection per the district’s current Rate Order.

Most common reasons for failing inspection:

1. Water line used to fill pool does not have approved backflow prevention device such as a hose bibb vacuum breaker permanently installed

2. Swimming pool has a direct connection fill line without proper backflow prevention

3. Backwash line for swimming pool does not have the appropriate air gap at the sanitary sewer connection

4. Backflow prevention device on swimming pool fill line does not pass the required Backflow test

5. Backflow preventor on Irrigation system is not installed properly due to location or height

Backflow prevention devices protect us all from the possibility of containments entering our drinking water system. If you have not had yours inspected for proper operation, you may wish to call a licensed irrigator, swimming pool contractor or MUD operator, Si Environmental, to confirm that it is working properly. Safety in our drinking water system is an important responsibility that we all share.

Interactive Fountain FAQs

Why does the MUD want to do this?

We see it as another amenity to add to the trail system and further enhance our communiity, much like the park benches and water fountains.

When will it be open?

The trail system is open from dawn to dusk. The fountain will be open the same hours. We plan to leave it open for most of the year, but we may shut the water off during the winter, similar to the drinking fountains. The fountain will be on a timer system. Visitors can push a button to turn it on. It will shut off automatically after a preset duration.

Will it be open to the public?

All MUD facilities are open to the public.

What about parking?

The trail system as a whole is designed to encourage a healthy lifestyle and the interactive fountain is another amenity in that system. We selected the location specifically because it is not directly adjacent to any street. Our desire is for people to access the fountain while they are out for a walk, jog or bike ride.

Who will maintain the facility?

MUD 365 will handle the maintenance, cleaning and any necessary repairs for the interactive fountain.

Is this why my water rates have gone up recently?

No. The increase to our water bills have been as a result of a hike issued by the North Harris Regional Water Authority (NHRWA) in preparation for the conversion to surface water. For more information about the NHRWA, please visit http://www.nhcrwa.org.

Will the water be recycled?

We are not planning to install a re-circulation system due to the small size of the fountain. We may consider reusing the water for irrigation in the adjacent flowerbeds, but that is not determined at this time.

Recycling FAQs

The District’s recycling partner is Residential Recycling & Refuse of Texas (“RRT”). RRT’s customer service number is (866) 516-9805.

If you have questions regarding the program, please contact us or attend one of our regularly scheduled meetings. We’d love to hear what you think!

What can I recycle?
  • Glass (all colors)
  • Paper and cardboard
  • Plastic grocery bags
  • Plastics #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
I just moved into the district and don’t have a bin. How do I get one?

Please contact us through the website contact form and we will arrange to have a bin delivered.

How will you keep track of the results?

Once a month, RRT will have a car follow the truck and count each bin collected. We also receive weekly tonnage reports from the recycling facility. We can use this data for statistical analysis. Participation has been very high. We pick up from more than 80% of homes in the district each month, collecting more than 200 tons of recycling each year.

Do I need to sort my recyclables?

No. All recyclable material can be put into together. It is sorted at the recycling facility.

How can I be assured that my recyclables are not going into landfill?

RRT does not have access to landfill. They deal solely with recycling.

I have heard that the market for recyclables is not good and there is no money to be made right now. Why would anyone want to take our recyclables?

We are paying for the service. RRT makes its money by picking up residential recycleables, not from the recyclables themselves.

What should I do with extra items or large boxes that do not fit in my bin?

You can put extra items in a clear bag or another bin and place it next to your green bin.

Where should I put my bin? Does it need to be by the curb?

No, please put your recycling bin wherever you put your trashcans. RRT will collect from the same location that our trash company does.

What do I do on windy days?

I recommend that you stack your items carefully inside the bin. Put paper on the bottom and cover it with cans or plastics. This will help keep the items in the bin. Also, do not overfill your bin. You can put additional items out in a second bin or in a clear plastic bag.

How is the program being paid for?

The cost of the service is $3.50 per household per month. Currently the program is being paid for out of MUD 365’s operating budget.

Where can I recycle items not included in this program (electronics, hazardous household products, etc.)?

For information on additional recycling options in Harris County, please click here.


Next In-District Meeting

July 13, 2022 at 6:00 PM |Agenda

Next Business Meeting

July 21, 2022 at 12:00 PM | Agenda